Protecting human sperm from the damaging effects of freezing and thawing.
2 x 20 ml
Sperm CryoProtec provides an optimized solution for protecting human sperm from the damage that can be suffered during the freezing and thawing processes. This solution contains osmotically active ingredients that reduce intracellular water as well as cryoprotectants to reduce injury caused by ice crystal formation.
Freezing solutions for sperm traditionally contain egg yolk and glycerol. Clinicians are now questioning the wisdom of exposing human sperm for ART to exogenous sources of protein, such as egg yolk, as well as the use of high concentrations of glycerol, which can be toxic to sperm.
At Nidacon, we listen to clinicians. That’s why we have develops a new cryoprotectant for human sperm that is free from egg yolk and contains a reduced concentration of glycerol. The final concentration of glycerol is only 5% once diluted with the sperm sample.
Watch video tutorial – Freezing
Free from egg yolk and with reduced glycerol concentration.
- Sodium chloride
- Magnesium sulphate
- Potassium dihydrogen phosphate
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Purified water
- Potassium chloride
- Calcium lactate
- Sodium pyruvate
- pH: 7.2 – 7.5
- Endotoxin levels: < 1.0 EU/mL
- Recovery rate of the original motile spermatozoa after freezing and thawing: >50%.
- Contents tested by human sperm survival only.
- Bottles and screw caps are MEA tested.
Storage and Stability
- Store unopened bottles between 2 and 30 degrees Celsius. Avoid temperatures above or below these values. Expiry date is shown on both bottles and cartons.
- Open and close bottles under sterile conditions. After opening store between 2 and 8 degrees Celsius when not in use.
- Sperm CryoProtec™ has a shelf-life of 12 months from date of production when stored at recommended temperatures. Expiration dates on product labels apply only when the product is stored according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- No antibiotics, unstable additives, or preservatives have been added to the product by the manufacturer.
Precautions and warnings
- Use aseptic procedures at all times
- Sperm CryoProtec™ contains glycerol which is combustible. A material safety data sheet is available from the distributor or manufacturer (see nidacon.com)
- Do not use any solution which shows evidence of bacterial contamination
- Do not use contents if tamper-evident seal is broken
- Federal Law (USA) restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a physician
- Please check for regulatory compliance governing the use of ART products in your country
Although it is possible to freeze unprocessed semen, we recommend that the ejaculate be prepared on a PureSperm density gradient and washed with PureSperm Wash before adding Sperm CryoProtec™. This method removes seminal plasma, as well as ROS and their sources, thereby ensuring optimal recovery of motile sperm on thawing.
Sperm CryoProtec Poster
Cryopreservation of Mammalian Sperm: What we ask them to survive
Hammerstedt et. al
Journal of Andrology, Vol 11, Jan/Feb 1990.
Cryopreservation of human semen, Comparison of Cryopreservatives, Sources of variability and prediction of post-thaw survival
Centola et. al
Journal of Andrology, Vol. 13, No. 3, May/June 1992.
The influence of cryoprotective media and processing procedures on motility and migration of frozen-thawed human sperm
McGonagle et. al
Asian J Androl 2002 Jun; 4: 137-141.
Cryopreservation of human spermatozoa. III. The effect of cryoprotectants on motility.
Critser JK et. al
Fertil Steril. 1988 Aug;50(2):314-20′.
Centrifugation and addition of glycerol at 22° C instead of 4 °C improve post-thaw motility and fertility of stallion spermatozoa.
Vidament M, et. al
Theriogenology. 2000 Oct 1;54(6):907-19.
Practical Laboratory Andrology
Practical Laboratory Andrology, 1994; 301-323.
Sperm preparation prior to freezing and storage: A risk reduction practice which also improves post thaw sperm motility.
Drury SL et al.
Birmingham Womens hospital., Poster
What survival rates should we expect after freezing/thawing?
The number of spermcells surviving a freezing procedure can vary significantly between samples. Analyses on freezing/thawing donor samples however has shown average survival rates of between 65-70%. (“Survival” has been defined as the number of motile spermcells after thawing compared to the number of motile spermcells before freezing.)
Can I use Sperm CryoProtec for TESE?
Yes you can, you don’t have to add anything it’s as easy as using Sperm CryoProtec with ejaculated sperm.
Do I need to add egg-yolk to Sperm CryoProtec before use?
No you don’t . Sperm CryoProtec is a ready to use freezing medium which doesn’t require any additives. Just follow the instructions and your sperm will be safely frozen and thawed.
Does Sperm CryoProtec contain antibiotics?
No, none of our products contains any antibiotics. Adding antibiotics would significantly reduce the shelf life of our products and could “mask” post-sterilisation contamination of the product